- Country: Canada
statements and other external information materials related to Union campaigns, policies, programs and activities.
- Contributes to the overall department goal of keeping union leadership, members and staff informed on current union issues; contributes to the department’s creativity, efficiency and accomplishment of broad goals and policies identified by the strategic plan.
- Arranges news conferences and media interviews with elected representatives, participates in briefings with government officials and media representatives, and assists BCNU spokespersons in dealing with the media.
- Participates in department planning of membership and media campaigns; prepares news releases and contributes to the production of information materials related to union campaigns.
- Identifies issues relevant to BCNU members to be included in union communication programs and publications. Researches, writes and edits articles on issues relevant to union members. Prepares materials and arranges for the production of membership bulletins, brochures, reports, videos and other internal information materials related to Union policies, programs and activities.
- Supports the implementation of strategies for social media use in order to build friends, followers, engagement and interactions which support the public relations and campaigns priorities of the union. This includes monitoring, administrating and managing postings in Facebook, LinkedIn and other social media platforms in accordance with the social media policy of BCNU.
- Takes photographs for publications and news conferences and is responsible for maintaining equipment; may organize and supervise shoots of professional photographers and video production crews.
- Assists in the development and presentation of training programs on communications for stewards and members.
- Collaborates with the department Coordinator in writing project specifications for major advertising campaigns, sending out bids and working with external vendors to manage production schedules and advise on content.
- Participates in the preparation of materials for and planning Union conventions, seminars and other special events and coordinates information and arrangements for media coverage.
- Gathers and distributes electronic news clippings and monitors both print and broadcast news. Maintains background, photography and other communication files. Ensures elected officers are aware of current media stories affecting BCNU and prepares media responses.
- Provides work direction to assigned clerical and administrative staff. Participates in the efficient and cooperative use of resources and personnel.
- Liaises with relevant external organizations to exchange information and keep informed of developments and trends in legislation and policies as they affect BCNU campaigns and communication strategies.
The successful applicant must have:
- College or university education in an approved Social Sciences, Journalism or Communications program, and/or Nursing program including or supplemented by courses in communication techniques or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive and progressive experience (3 - 5 years) in public relations and/or communication services, the coordination of publications and assistance in the planning and implementation of campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to research, write and edit articles and bulletins on trade union, membership and policy issues.
- Demonstrated understanding of the media industry including current social media utilization.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to handle multiple assignments and tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in a challenging and collaborative work environment.
- Ability to participate in the efficient and cooperative use of resources and personnel.
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to utilize and implement the organizing model.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills which enable the incumbent to present and explain materials, liaise with diverse personnel and deal with sensitive issues.
- Good knowledge of trade union and nurses’ employment issues and the general environmental conditions of nursing. A thorough understanding of and commitment to trade union philosophy.
- Ability to travel throughout the province and carry a valid driver's license.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to Search Results Email to Friend Print Version Save Listing
Inbox (0) / Notifications (0)
Alerts & Saved Stuff
Salary Survey Report
Find Volunteer Listings
Find Event Listings
- Avoid scams by acting locally or paying with PayPal
- Never pay with Western Union, Moneygram or other anonymous payment services
- Don't buy or sell outside of your country. Don't accept cashier cheques from outside your country
- This site is never involved in any transaction, and does not handle payments, shipping, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"